Wednesday, September 06, 2017

DIY Wooden Pumpkin Sign

The weather is already changing and I am loving the feeling of fall creeping around the corner. Fall is my favorite season for so many reasons. The weather, hot drinks, Holidays, boots, sweaters, comfy clothes, and the list goes on and on.







I was shopping around for some fall decorations, and while I loved what I was seeing, I thought it would be fun and more unique to create a few of my own decorations. This is my first of several DIY projects I will be posting in the coming weeks. I just love personalizing items that I can use every year to decorate for different seasons.

So I took a trip to Hobby Lobby and found a bunch of great Fall craft options. This wooden pumpkin sign was my favorite find! It is the perfect size to use for a decoration. I can either hang it outside on my door or hang it inside the house for some fun Fall inspired decorations to spice up the house.

What you need:

1 Wooden Pumpkin Sign
1 Acrylic Orange Paint
1 Acrylic Brown Paint
1 Acrylic Black Paint
Stencils
1 Sponge or Paint Brush ( I used both )
Fall Leave cut outs for decoration (or whatever else tickles your fancy! )
Glue
(products linked at the bottom)

Steps to Follow:

1. Paint your pumpkin orange, besides the stem. Leave that alone so you can paint it brown! I put a good amount of paint on my pumpkin and made sure to smooth the strokes out so that it wouldn't look streaky.

2. Paint the stem brown, blending it in slightly with the orange where they meet.





3. Let the paint dry! I let mine sit for an hour to an hour and a half. It dried pretty quickly but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't smear once I started using the stencils.

4. Stencil time! I just used my eyes to figure out where the middle was. I didn't want it to be perfect but feel free to grab a ruler and measure everything out so you can figure out where the middle is.

With the stencils, let your previous letter dry some before stenciling the next. ALWAYS lift the stencil off of the pumpkin and don't slide it off. You will end up smearing the old letters and the new one as well.


Wipe your stencil with a wet paper towel after each letter. That way you wont ruin any future letters you make with the previous paint stuck to the stencil.

5. This next part was the most fun to me! I loved figuring out where I wanted to place all of my leaves. I used regular stick glue to glue mine down and it worked perfectly!

6. Admire your work and hang your pumpkin!Outside, inside, wherever you want!

Post your finished products in the comments or tag me on Instagram so I can see how yours turned out! (Instagram: missbecca1208 )

Thanks for reading!
XOXO
Becca


Linked Up over at:

10 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I love to do crafts with my kids. Since fall is around i will try something sure with pumpkins. Thanks for the detailed steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, I love crafting and doing it with my kids is even more fun! Happy Fall!

      Delete
  2. This is really original, I am definitely going to try to make one#trafficjamweekend@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to see your finished product if you try it out!

      Delete
  3. Quite creative!
    Please come share your photo at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/09/inwardly-gazing-with-monochrome-eyes.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it love it �� I am always a DIY and no other way around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love DIY, makes your decorations more personal and memorable.

      Delete
  5. I am in love with fall too! I am working on a post all about fall!!! My favorite things for fall! Love how crafty you are and this DIY is so cute!
    www.daveanderin.blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I will have to check out your fall post once you are done with it :-)

      Delete